Getting pregnant before marriage in Qatar
Traditionally, marriage comes before pregnancy, but in recent times, things seem to have changed as some people would prefer to get pregnant before marriage. For example, in some parts of Africa, they prefer pregnancy before marriage just to be sure the lady or the man is “fertile”. (i.e., he or she’s not barren). However, this is not the case in Qatar.
Read on to know what Qatar law says and possible recommendations on what to do.
Consequences of getting pregnant before marriage in Qatar
It is very important to know that it is illegal for a woman who is not married to be pregnant in Qatar. This comes with some consequences which include jail time, deportation, even physical punishment like lashings. Most women who get pregnant before marriage cannot enjoy prenatal health care.
The laws states that children can have access to health insurance only when a marriage license is presented. In a scenario like this, getting married might be a good option.
What Qatar law says about abortion
Under Qatar’s penal code, abortion is illegal and is highly punishable. Even the person that performed the abortion on the woman is not left out of the penalty. However, there are exceptions to this law based on the following conditions;
- When the pregnancy endangers the life of the mother and/or the child,
- If there is evidence that the child has mental or physical deficiencies,
- If recommended by a medical commission comprising three specialists and it must be performed in a Government hospital.
Solutions to pregnancy before marriage in Qatar
- Online wedding for couples who cannot travel, or
- Destination wedding in either Seychelles or Georgia. These locations are the best and most cost-effective options.
So whichever option you are choosing, whether online or destination wedding, the entire process including obtaining a legal marriage license will not take time. It’s just a matter of days.
You are free to share this information with your friends and family to educate them and to let them know that getting pregnant before marriage in Qatar is not a death sentence.